Rhode Island Housing
successfully administers
HHFRI - Application period
ended on Jan. 31, 2013.


Rhode Island received $79 million in Hardest Hit Funds from the U.S. Treasury to prevent avoidable foreclosures by helping homeowners who are unable to make their mortgage payments due to a hardship such as job loss or underemployment. Rhode Island Housing was designated by the Treasury to oversee HHFRI.


Rhode Island Housing successfully administers HHFRI
Application period ended on Jan. 31, 2013. 

Since its launch in December 2010, more than 5,300 homeowners sought HHFRI counseling and assistance, and Rhode Island Housing approved HHFRI assistance loans totaling almost $67 million. We are on track to disburse the entire $79 million that the U.S. Treasury allotted to us.

Working together with its partners, Rhode Island Housing made HHFRI one of the most effective foreclosure prevention programs in the country. “HHFRI has been a great success for struggling Rhode Island Homeowners, and our quick response to the foreclosure crisis with programs such as HHFRI has helped many homeowners,” said Richard Godfrey, Executive Director of Rhode Island Housing. “We are grateful to the participation of the HHFRI Working Group, whose experience and insight assisted us in creating this successful and effective program. Partners such as our Congressional delegation, U.S. Treasury, R.I.’s HUD-approved counseling agencies, local lenders and servicers, state agencies and members of our General Assembly all worked together to ensure the best possible administration of HHFRI.”

Although HHFRI funds are fully allocated, Rhode Island Housing is committed to helping families and individuals who are struggling to make their mortgage payments. Homeowners are encouraged to seek help from a HUD-approved counseling agency such as Rhode Island Housing’s HelpCenter (401-457-1130). 

Tax Information

Frequently Asked Questions on Tax Information for HHFRI Assistance click here

Mortgage Assistance Payments Form 1098-MA click here

Tax Information for HHFRI Assistance click here  


  • ACT IMMEDIATELY - Contact your lender/servicer
    The earlier you act, the more options you will have
    Here's how to contact your lender/servicer.
    If you're not making progress or you have an out of state lender/servicer and need assistance, call a HUD Approved counseling agency.
    Fill out the required paperwork and stay in contact throughout the process.